Social Mobility Commission ChairClosed
|Body:||Social Mobility Commission|
|Appointing Department:||Cabinet Office|
|Sector:||Charity & Public Sector|
|Skills required:||Audit and Risk, Change Management|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||£350 per day|
|Time Requirements:||Up to 6 days a month|
Closed for Applications
11/06/2021 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
Dame Rachel de Souza Added 30/04/2021
Children’s Commissioner for England • Senior Independent Panel Member
Pamela Dow Added 30/04/2021
Executive Director - Cabinet Office • Departmental Official
Marcus Bell Added 30/04/2021
Director - Equality Hub • Departmental Official
The Minister for Women and Equalities is seeking a new Chair for the Social Mobility Commission (SMC) to make the case for social mobility in England and hold Government and other leaders in the public sphere to account.
The Chair will lead the Social Mobility Commission in promoting social mobility both within and outside Government, oversee work to strengthen the evidence base and improve public understanding of how opportunity is created and made accessible to all.
Importantly, the Chair will lead the Commission in realising a more defined role in national life and launching a more clearly defined framework for assessing the impact of public policy on social mobility. This will include:
- the establishment of headline metrics through which the Commission can consistently measure the UK’s progress and inform public understanding;
- a refocusing of the Commission’s work around the ‘three E’s’ as priority areas:
- education; and
As such, the SMC and its Chair have a crucial role to play in the realisation of the Government’s levelling-up agenda.
The Chair has overall responsibility for providing effective leadership on matters such as:
- advocating the social mobility agenda and shaping the debate about equality;
- demonstrating what ‘good’ looks like, and challenging key institutions;
- raising the profile of the Social Mobility Commission and social mobility by being a public spokesperson for the Commission;
- providing strategic leadership of the Commissioners and Secretariat in setting the overall direction, policy and plans for the Commission;
- working collaboratively with Ministers, Parliament and other strategic partners;
- overseeing work to strengthen the evidence base and publish key reports, including the Commission’s Annual Report, which is laid before parliament.
The closing date for applications is 5:00pm on Friday 11 June 2021. In order for us to progress your application please submit the following completed documentation:
- A Curriculum Vitae (maximum three sides of A4) outlining your education, professional qualifications and full employment history.
- An accompanying Supporting Letter (maximum two sides of A4, minimum font 11) – setting out your suitability for the role and how you meet the essential and desirable skills set out in the person specification – please ensure your full name is clearly noted at the top of your letter.
- Completion of the online Monitoring Form (including conflicts of interest, political activity, diversity) which can be found here. Any information you provide in Section A will not be used as part of the selection process and will not be seen by the interview panel. The form now includes questions about disability. Information to help answer these questions can be found on the Public Appointments website. If you experience any problems accessing the monitoring form please contact email@example.com.
- Disability Confident – Offering an interview to disabled people declaration form (if applicable).
- Names and contact details of two referees who will be contacted if you are shortlisted for interview.
Please send all the above required application documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the present circumstances of remote working, emailing the application is strongly advised, however if you are unable to email your application, you can send it in the post to:
SMC Sponsorship Team (for: SMC Public Appointments), Government Equalities Office, Sanctuary Buildings, Great Smith St, Westminster, London SW1P 3BT.
We are happy to accept applications in Welsh language. Please contact email@example.com. if you require this advert in an alternative form, explaining what you need and why you require an alternative format. Please note that all documents can be provided in Welsh language upon request.
|Social Mobility Commission -Chair Candidate Information Pack|
|Disability Confident Offering an Interview|