Transport Focus Board MembersAnnounced
|Appointing Department:||Department for Transport|
|Skills required:||Communication / Media / Marketing|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£12,241 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||4 days per month|
An announcement has been made on the outcome of this appointment.
Keith Richards, Kate Denham and Rob Wilson have been appointed for four year terms as Board members of Transport Focus, the independent transport user watchdog. They will make an important contribution to the work of an influential public body responsible for representing the interests of transport users and making a difference to their journeys.
Keith Richards is the former Chair of the Civil Aviation Authority’s Consumer Panel (2012-2017). He is currently Chair of the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee, advising the Secretary of State and DfT on access, equality and vulnerability issues across all modes of transport and the related built environment. He is a Panel Member at the Competition and Markets Authority, and a member of the Financial Services Consumer Panel at the FCA. Keith is a barrister, arbitrator and commercial mediator and has particular expertise in alternative dispute resolution and Ombudsman schemes.
Kate Denham is the former Head of Strategy and Performance, Royal National Institute of the Blind (2015-2017) and Senior Strategy Adviser, Monitor (now NHS Improvement), (2013-2015). She is currently Managing Director, The Public Good Company, advising particularly on strategy, building long-term business models, income generation, commercialisation, growth and service modernisation through technology throughout the public and third sectors. Kate is an experienced board member. She is Vice-Chair of Accelerate, an award winning social enterprise (2016-Present), and was previously a Board Member for St Martin of Tours, providing long term placements for individuals with complex mental health needs (2016-2018) and Healthwatch Croydon, a consumer champion for health and social care (2013-2015).
Rob Wilson is a former Member of Parliament and Minister at the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (2016-2017) and was Parliamentary Private Secretary to George Osborne, Chancellor (2013-2014). He is currently an Independent Director of the Consumer Council for Water (July 2018+) and a Non-executive director of the Marine Management Organisation (May 2018+). He is also a Daily Telegraph columnist.
Closed for Applications
23/03/2018 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
14/08/2018 at 10:00
Deputy Director, Rail Markets Strategy, DfT • Departmental Official
Chair, Transport Focus • Representative of Organisation
Panel Member Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority • Independent Member
You will be expected to work in partnership with staff and key stakeholders across the country. This is likely to involve some travel. You will help ensure that the voice of the passenger and the road user is not only heard but understood and acted upon by those in positions of influence. This is a role for a proactive person with the capacity to identify the need for, and to promote, transformational change, both within Transport Focus and across the wider stakeholder community.
Your role will be to use your skills and personal experience to make a difference for passengers and road users. Specifically, you will:
- Represent the developing interests of passengers and road users on the Board
- Help ensure our work represents good value for money
- Contribute fully to a continuing review and development of strategy across the organisation; this may mean an innovative and/or cross-cutting approach to work planning and service delivery
- Lead/participate in work streams as discussed and agreed with the Chair
- Represent the organisation on other bodies
- Chair or speak at public meetings and/or conferences
- Work collectively and collaboratively with other board colleagues, promote good governance and sound decision making across the organisation.
- Expect to be nominated to at least one committee of the board
We would like to hear from candidates who have strong knowledge or experience of consumer issues, so they can support Transport Focus to have an even greater impact in the future, and who can demonstrate in their application, and at interview, the following essential criteria:
- A clear understanding of the issues facing both passenger transport users and road users;
- A track record showing experience and understanding of effectively engaging on consumer isues, including consumer advocacy and representation. This may include with the news and digital media on consumer issues to maximise the visibility and impact of an organisation;
- Strategic thinking skills that can be applied to the transport network and its users;
- The ability to build credible, constructive relationships with stakeholders and experience of addressing both large audiences and / or smaller workshops;
- A demonstrable understanding of the political environment and its interface with the transport sector;
- Proven ability to play an important role in the board team – providing support, insight and constructive challenge to ensure that Transport Focus maximises its impact.
In addition to the above, candidates should also be able to demonstrate in their application, and at interview, knowledge of one or more of the following areas:
- Evidence based campaigning
- Communications and/or public relations management or operations
- The interface between road transport and passenger transport
- Consumer advocacy
- Experience of promoting equality of opportunity and diversity
- Customer facing businesses
- Customer mediation, including Ombudsman and/or arbitration services
How to Apply
To apply for this post you must:
- Provide a covering letter of no more than 2 pages of A4 setting out why you are interested in the role and clearly setting out how you meet the criteria above.
- Provide an up-to-date and comprehensive curriculum vitae
- Complete and attach the Supporting Information Form. Part A of this form -regarding diversity – is not part of the selection process and will be treated in confidence and used only for statistical purposes. It will be kept separate from your application and will not be seen by the selection panel until after a shortlist has been generated.
- Part B – political activity – will be provided to the Panel only for those applicants selected for interview; it will enable the Panel to explore such activity with the candidates in the context of their ability to perform their role.
- Referees you nominate may be contacted prior to interview for shortlisted candidates
Please ensure you complete and e-sign the declaration at part C.
You should send all of the above by email to Jon Carter, Head of Business Services at Transport Focus, to: email@example.com
Please note that the closing date for all applications is 9 March 2018. Late applications may not be accepted.
If you have problems e-mailing your application, please send a hard copy to:
Transport Focus – Board recruitment centre
PO Box 5594
If you experience any difficulties completing your application form, please contact the Transport Focus recruitment centre on 0300 123 2350 for assistance before the closing date.
More information including relevant documentation is available at www.transportfocus.org.uk/about/careers
|Information pack for applicants - Final (Jan 18)|