UK Government Investments - Non Executive Director
|Body:||UK Government Investments|
|Appointing Department:||HM Treasury|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills|
|Skills required:||Business / Commercial|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||Salary of £25,000 per annum (p.a.), with additional fees for committee membership(s)|
|Time Requirements:||The estimated total commitment is approximately 3 days per month, but at the request of the Chairman to commit additional time as is required from time to time.|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
UK Government Investments (UKGI) is the government’s centre of excellence in corporate finance and corporate governance. The organisation works across government on some of its most interesting and complex commercial and financial tasks. It is responsible for promoting good governance of publicly owned businesses, supporting the government’s private sector interventions and delivering orderly transactions that generate value for money.
UKGI are looking for a Non-Executive Director to join the Board. The Board provides strategic direction and ensures UKGI is equipped to perform its functions, including having sufficient resourcing and a suitable organisational structure. The Board also enables effective arrangements to be put in place to provide assurance on risk management, governance and internal control.
You will play a key role in helping the organisation to achieve its objectives by providing independent oversight and constructive scrutiny and challenge to the executive management team.
The successful applicant will be required to make informed decisions and effectively monitor the leadership team’s performance in delivering UKGI’s strategy. You will be expected to perform the duties diligently and to a standard commensurate with the requirements of the role. The successful candidate will also need to demonstrate excellent senior stakeholder management skills; strong judgement and influencing skills; high numeracy in financial scenarios; the ability to offer solutions to complex problems; enthusiasm; commitment and an ability to think strategically and imaginatively.
The candidate will need to demonstrate some or all of the following experience criteria:
- Substantial commercial experience in Exco of major company.
- Demonstrable experience of dealing with HMG at high level in multiple departments.
- Preferably experience of Infrastructure, Energy, Defence or Transport sectors (not banking).
- Must have Chair or NED experience of listed company or other major entity and also, preferably, Board experience as an ED.
- Must have financial acumen (could be commercial FD), experience of M&A/transactions preferable.
The candidate will need to demonstrate the following characteristics:
- A team player, capable of influencing rather than directing;
- Demanding, but with sufficient charm/EQ to be effective as NED;
- Real engagement with UKGI, its values and its mission;
- Strong ethics, recognised by peers/colleagues;
- No strong political affiliations;
- Preferably an unconventional thinker – someone who would challenge the status quo;
- Someone who would recognisably add diversity to the existing Board.
Principles of public life
The seven principles of public life apply to anyone who works as a public office-holder.
Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.
Holders of public office must avoid placing themselves under any obligation to people or organisations that might try inappropriately to influence them in their work. They should not act or take decisions in order to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family, or their friends. They must declare and resolve any interests and relationships.
Holders of public office must act and take decisions impartially, fairly and on merit, using the best evidence and without discrimination or bias.
Holders of public office are accountable to the public for their decisions and actions and must submit themselves to the scrutiny necessary to ensure this.
Holders of public office should act and take decisions in an open and transparent manner. Information should not be withheld from the public unless there are clear and lawful reasons for so doing.
Holders of public office should be truthful.
Holders of public office should exhibit these principles in their own behaviour. They should actively promote and robustly support the principles and be willing to challenge poor behaviour wherever it occurs.
How to Apply
To make an application please submit the following:
- A CV of no more than two A4 pages (including education and professional qualifications, career history, and relevant achievements and responsibilities).
- A supporting statement of no more than one A4 page setting out:
- how you meet each of the essential criteria for the role as set out in the person specification;
- the evidence from your career which best demonstrates your qualifications for the appointment;
- the names of two referees who know you in a capacity to comment on your suitability for the appointment and have authoritative and personal knowledge of your achievements (references will only be taken up for short listed candidates, but will be sought prior to the interview), and
- your contact number(s) and e-mail address(es), which will be used with discretion.
It will be on the basis of this information that shortlisting decisions will be made. In addition, applicants are asked to submit completed diversity monitoring and declaration of conflict of interest forms, which are attached to this advertisement. Please note: your diversity monitoring form will not be shared with the appointment panel, or otherwise used as a basis for recruitment decisions.
Please submit your CV, supporting letter and completed monitoring forms to:
or post to:
UK Government Investments Ltd.
1 Victoria Street
Applications for the appointment must arrive no later than 23:00 on 7th January 2018. Your application will be acknowledged shortly after receipt and you will be informed in writing or by telephone of the progress of your application.
If you are invited for interview, your reasonable and necessary travel expenses will be reimbursed. Those invited to interview will be advised on how to claim their expenses.
If you would like to discuss this appointment further, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
|HM Treasury Public Appointment Recruitment Privacy Notice|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.