UKRI Non-Executive Directors
|Body:||UK Research & Innovation|
|Appointing Department:||Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy|
|Sector:||Science & Technology|
|Location:||UK - Various|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£9,180 per annum|
|Time Requirements:||20 days per year|
Closed for Applications
28/06/2019 at 09:00
Final Interview Date
Director, Industrial Strategy at BEIS • Departmental Official
Sir John Kingman
Chair, UK Research and Innovation • Representative of Organisation
Managing Partner, SV Life Sciences • Independent Member
Sir Damon Buffini
Governor, Wellcome Trust • Independent Member
Shaping a better future…
We are at one of the most important, exciting and challenging times in the history of global enterprise. Powered by new technologies, the way we live and work is being transformed across the world at an unparalleled pace. The United Kingdom is uniquely well-placed to benefit from and take its part in leading this new industrial revolution. We are an open and enterprising economy, built on invention, innovation and competition. Our universities and research institutions are amongst the best in the world.
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has a vital and strategically important role in this. Through leading the overall strategic direction of research and innovation funding in the UK, the organisation is pushing the frontiers of human knowledge and delivering benefits for UK society and the economy, through world-class research and business-led innovation.
UKRI was established a year ago through a joining of seven research councils, Research England and Innovate UK. With an annual budget of £7.5 billion a year to fund ground-breaking research and new enterprise growth, our combined strength and cross cutting capabilities mean we play a critical part in delivering the Government’s Industrial Strategy. This will require us to become much more interventionist, flexible and agile as an organisation, with the risk appetite needed to seize new opportunities.
The organisation’s mission is supported by an exceptional Board of experts and thinkers within their respective fields, including leaders from industry, academia and government. We are now seeking to appoint two Non-Executive Directors to bring complementary expertise and insights to this Board. We are looking for exceptional candidates who can bring intellect, challenge and creative insight. As a major funding organisation that plays a critical role in stimulating enterprise growth and new ventures, we are particularly interested in leaders with diverse and highly successful backgrounds in entrepreneurship and venture capital or in scientific, technology or R&D intensive business. The diverse composition of our board is of critical importance to UKRI and its objectives.
Your application should demonstrate the essential criteria below:
- A strategic and dispassionate mindset with excellent listening, influencing and communication skills, intellectual capacity and inquisitiveness;
- Ability to help develop, communicate and deliver a clear and strategic vision for UKRI;
- Understanding of how to deliver significant cultural change and organisational development within a large organisation that has both national and international visibility;
- Significant experience of leading new or early stage business launches and successful organisational expansion;
- Senior financial management experience gained through management of substantial budgets within a complex environment and a strong understanding of commercial and business issues;
- The highest levels of stakeholder agility, capable of influencing an envionrment with a highly complex landscape of stakeholders;
- Strong links with the business community and the ability ot build coalitions to leverage private sector involvement;
- A strong grasp on how to support the growth of advanced technology, digitisation and future industries and how to increase productivity in existing industries, through the employment of technology;
- Experience working within industry, business and innovation in Scotland, Wales and/or Northern Ireland; and,
- A strong commitment to the principles of Public Sector Service.
BEIS is committed to providing equal opportunities for all, irrespective of race, age, disability, gender, marital status, religion, sexual orientation, transgender and working patterns and to the principle of public appointments on merit with independent assessments, openness and transparency of process.
BEIS offers professional training courses on public sector finance and governance for those new to the public sector.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 28th June 2019 at 0900hrs. For further information, a candidate prospectus or to have an informal discussion about the opportunity, please contact the retained advisers at the McLean Partnership: email@example.com +44(0)203 597 6422 or firstname.lastname@example.org +44(0)203 597 6410.Return to Search