Vehicle Certification Agency, Non-Executive Directors
|Body:||Vehicle Certification Agency|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Transport|
|Sectors:||Business, Finance & Skills, Science & Technology, Transport|
|Skills required:||Accountancy, Audit and Risk, Business / Commercial, Change Management, HR, IT / Digital, Legal / Judicial, Procurement, Transformation|
|Number of Vacancies:||2|
|Remuneration:||£10,750 pa, with an extra £3000 if you are asked to chair a committee.|
|Time Requirements:||25 days pa|
Closed for Applications
Final Interview Date
The VCA is seeking two Non-Executive Directors (NEDs) to join its Board. The successful candidates, through their membership of the Board, will provide challenge and support to a wide variety of management and operational matters. They will play a vital role in the effective strategic and operational leadership of the VCA. The NEDs provide guidance, experience, opinion and governance scrutiny, and support the Chief Executive Officer to deliver VCA’s business plan.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- prepare for and make an effective contribution to the VCA Board and executive/ NED meetings (ordinarily ten meetings per year);
- support Management Board conferences (typically 2 per year at 1-2 days per conference);
- be willing to take on the role of Chair of the VCA Audit Committee (ordinarily 3 meetings per year), noting that financial qualification is not a requirement for this role;
- be able to dedicate time to specific projects within VCA (such as organisational development, future skills requirements, responding to emerging technology) to provide valuable input and advice to an executive team;
- maintain appropriate links to the DfT as part of effectively discharging the duties and responsibilities of an NED.
- work proactively with the Board and objectively with Government to:
- provide sound advice to the Chair and Chief Executive;
- provide strong and constructive challenge to the executive team to ensure that policy delivery follows strategic direction;
- collectively ensure that decisions made by the Board follow proper procedures and are supported by sufficient high quality information;
- support the executive team in discharging their leadership responsibilities to the VCA;
- ensure high standards of corporate governance and financial management and control are observed at all times;
- work closely with, and hold to account, the executive team for delivery of the Agency’s Business Plan and budget.
The successful candidate will possess a good appreciation of the role of a Non-Executive Director, and they will understand and be committed to the pivotal role that the Board plays in the effective and efficient delivery of VCA services. They will clearly demonstrate independence of judgement and an ability to communicate with impact to provide constructive support and challenge.
VCA are looking for two Non-Executive Directors to support and challenge the Board in order to ensure that the Agency delivers its strategic business goals. Therefore applications are welcomed from all candidates who can evidence the descriptors and skills below – there is no requirement for candidates to have an engineering background or experience within the Automotive Sector.
Experience of working at a senior level in some or all of the following areas will be required to achieve an overall balance of skills and experience amongst the Non-Executive Members:
- Change management and transformation
- Understanding of working in or with public sector bodies
Skills and Qualities
- Ability to command the confidence of and influence stakeholders, including fellow Board members, Government, other public bodies and agencies;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to challenge effectively and constructively;
- Ability to make sound, open, and impartial decisions and to employ complex problem solving, analysis and evaluation skills;
- Demonstrable interest in the work of the VCA and the challenges it faces;
- A record of achievement in delivering high performance and effective change management in private or public bodies, with demonstrable impact at the highest levels, showing an ability to operate effectively on the board of a significant national body.
- A strong awareness of corporate governance, with the ability to assess risk and promote risk awareness in a professional manner at all times;
- A good understanding of large and complex organisations operating in a political environment, with experience of working with public sector bodies.
All candidates will be required to demonstrate how they meet the requirements of the post in their written applications and at interview.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for these positions, please supply the following by Friday 14th December 2018:
- A comprehensive CV setting out your career history and including details of any professional qualifications.
- A short supporting statement (maximum two sides A4, minimum size 11 font) giving evidence of your ability to meet the essential criteria for the role. Please provide specific examples to demonstrate how you meet each of the areas identified in the person specification.
In addition, please also complete and return via email the supporting documentation forms, relating to referees, diversity, nationality, political activity and conflicts of interest.
Your application should be emailed to Christopher.Mckee@dft.gov.uk and should include the reference ‘VCA Non-Executive Director’ in the subject line.
If you cannot apply online, please post applications to:
Motoring Agency Sponsorship Team
Roads, Devolution and Motoring
Department for Transport
Zone 3/28 Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
|VCA NED Candidate Pack|
|Supporting Documentation form|
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.