Vice Chairman of CSSC: Chairman of the Sports & Leisure Committee
|Body:||Civil Service Sports Council Ltd, trading as CSSC Sports and Leisure (CSSC)|
|Appointing Department:||Department for Culture, Media & Sport|
|Sector:||Culture, Media & Sport|
|Location:||Most meetings are held in London|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Remuneration:||None: this is a volunteer post for which there is no remuneration|
|Time Requirements:||About eight meetings a year – with correspondence, approximately 2 days per month.|
This is not a ministerial appointment.
Closed for Applications
03/06/2019 at 17:00
Final Interview Date
Officers and the Board
The Board is chaired by Philip Rycroft, who recently stood down as Permanent Secretary at the Department for Exiting the European Union, and comprises the volunteer Officers (three Vice Chairmen and an Honorary Treasurer) appointed by the Board, 12 elected volunteer members and the CEO. The Board is responsible for the management of CSSC and meets 3 times a year, though there is some out-of-meeting business by correspondence, particularly amongst the Vice Chairmen in their role of supporting the CEO. Much of the work of the Board is carried out through two main committees – the Resources Committee and the Sports and Leisure Committee, both chaired by Vice
As a Vice Chairman and member of CSSC’s Board your duties will be:
- To contribute to the Board’s strategic direction of CSSC by determining the vision, mission and setting overall
policy, defining goals and evaluating performance.
- To ensure that CSSC and its constituent bodies carry out their activities in a proper manner consistent with
policies, standards and values.
- To enhance CSSC’s public image and to act as an ambassador for CSSC.
- To ensure that CSSC complies with its governing documents, company law, and any other relevant legislation.
The Sports and Leisure Committee
The SLC has responsibility for sports and leisure activities organised or facilitated by CSSC, which includes event management, marketing, sports and volunteer development. The most important strategic issue facing the SLC and its Chair is the overall balance between the leisure opportunities, and the sporting and physical activities, that CSSC
should offer in future.
The Vice Chairman will chair the Sports & Leisure Committee whose overall responsibility includes setting the strategic direction for sport and leisure activities to ensure the provision of high standard competitive and recreational events. The other main responsibilities include:
- Considering and, if agreed, approving the plans of CSSC funded events and activities.
- Working closely with the Event Team and other CSSC staff to support and promote national-level events.
- Ensuring that local, regional or qualifying events are planned to meet set organizational criteria.
- Attending Board and other meetings (at least eight meetings per year).
- The SLC delegates to the Volunteer Committee responsibility for policy and practice relating to the recruitment, retention, recognition and ongoing support of CSSC volunteers including the development and maintenance of policy and guidance for volunteers; the development and implementation of structures within CSSC to support and encourage volunteers; and the development and implementation of schemes and mechanisms to value, recognise and reward volunteers.
We are looking for someone with:
- An understanding of, and empathy with, the aims and values of the CSSC;
- A clear understanding of the role of an Officer and the willingness and ability to devote the necessary time and effort to the proper discharge of the responsibilities required;
- The ability to think strategically
- integrity, honesty, flexibility and the ability to be proactive;
- Leadership qualities; and
Who has experience of:
- The sports and leisure industries;
- projects/budgets/workforce/people management;
- strategic planning;
- networking with relevant partners;
- committee work and;
one or more of the following:
- event management;
- volunteer management and support;
- change management; and
- The ability to communicate effectively;
- The ability to work at a strategic level;
- The ability to think objectively and constructively;
- The ability to make sound, independent judgements;
- The ability to work in a team and to work with others
- The ability to understand the interplay between staff and volunteers;
- A commitment to inclusion and diversity;
- listening skills;
- management skills.
For more information please contact –
Simon Lee, Chief Executive
Telephone: 01494 888 450
How to Apply
Please send your CV with a cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role, to Philippa Glasgow, either by email or post – details below:
CSSC Sports & Leisure
Compton Court, 20-24 Temple End, High Wycombe, Bucks HP13 5DR
This post is NOT regulated by The Commissioner for Public Appointments.